|This article is about content that has yet to be released. The information may change before its release.|
The game is currently under development by TaleWorlds.
The events of Bannerlord take place 200 years before the start of Warband witnessing the last years of the Calradic Empire and the rise of the kingdoms from which Swadians, Rhodoks, Nords, Khergits, Vaegirs and Sarranids all claim descent.
The factions present in Bannerlord are ancestral to those of Warband, and will have some of their descendant factions' traits. Additionally there will be lesser, minor factions akin to bandits and mercenaries for the player to ally with in his/her exploration of Imperial Calradia.
- The Calrad Empire, from which Swadians and in turn Rhodoks are descended, and with which the Player finds him- or herself involved at the beginning of the game. While far past the height of its power, the Empire's military has been honed throughout the generations and is still a force to be reckoned with, employing cataphracts and spearmen along with archers to devastating effect.
- The Vlandians, a feudal state that specializes in heavy cavalary, and from whom the Khergits may claim descent.
- The Sturgians, ancestors of the Nords, who inhabit the northern woodlands and are lethal axe-men and swordsmen;
- The Aserai, who would later establish the Sarranid Sultanate, inhabit the more desertic lands of Calradia and combine footmen and horsemen in battle;
- The Khuzaits, ancestors of the Vaegir and Khergit riders, mirror their descendants in their mastery of horse archery;
- The Battanians, famed for their marksmanship as archers throughout Calradia, and who would influence the Vaegir horsemen in the times of Warband.
Changes from Warband
Very little is known except Taleworlds claims there will be "many exciting and highly requested new features" and that it will include "up-close and personal medieval combat on a huge scale, bigger, bloodier and more intense than ever before". This affirmed that they will implement what the fans want in Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord. Taleworlds are going to be incorporating aspects from mods, such as the Diplomacy mod to enhance gameplay.
Enhanced graphics is an obvious change, but overall game mechanics and style will be more or less the same.
As with the previous games of the series, Bannerlord will also support mods. TaleWorlds has stated that "modding is a primary consideration when developing Bannerlord."