You can either visit the marketplace through the menu when you enter the town, or choose to walk around the streets where you may personally visit each merchant.
There are five options you can perform through the menu:
- Assess the local prices. This allows your character (If your Trade skill is 1 or above) to listen around the town and see if you can sell or buy items at reasonable prices. This option is necessary for characters that make profit on trading.
- Trade with the Arms Merchant. This brings up a screen with weapons and shields that are for sale.
- Trade with the Armor Merchant. This brings up a screen with armors that are for sale.
- Trade with the Horse Merchant. This brings up a screen with horses that are for sale.
- Trade with the Goods Merchant. This brings up a screen with goods (goods are either trade goods, or foods) that are for sale.
Your relation with the town can have a small effect on purchase prices. For every 3 relation, you will receive a bonus price reduction of .5% up to a maximum of 16.5% with 99 relation.
Every 24 hours (168 hours in Viking Conquest), the game checks to see how much money the merchants have available. Each one has a set target they should have, and if their current wealth falls below this target, they will be given a random increase every day until they surpass the target.