The Cossack Hetmanate is a Ukrainian state that existed from 1649 to 1764. The Cossack Hetmanate was also called the Zaporozhian Host. The nation, located in the middle to southern region of Eastern Europe, is comprised of wild-spirited independent fighters lead by Hetman Bogdan Hmelnitski.
The Cossacks fight against the Polish Commonwealth for their freedom. According to Jaques de Clermont, the Cossacks earned limited sovereignty in a series of bloody battles some years ago. Catholic Poles, however, still dominate the nobility. Those same Polish nobles fear losing titles to Orthodox Cossacks if Hmelnitski's rebellion leads to the establishment of a Cossack state.
Cossack leader Bogdan Hmelnitski is forced to seek help from Russia in order to combat the powerful Poles. Together the Cossack Hetmanate and Muscovite Tsardom march on the Polish Commonwealth and the Crimean Khanate.
The Secret of the Black Mace is the main questline for the Cossack Hetmanate.
- Excellent light infantry and musketeers.
- Very good and flexible medium and shock infantry.
- Reliable light cavalry and mounted gunners.
- Almost no heavy infantry.
- Lacking in cavalry-fighting infantry.
- Very few heavy cavalry.
The Cossack Hetmanate´s army is built up from mostly dragoons, light cavalry, light infantry, and a variety of marksmen. The mainstay of the Cossack cavalry is the Djura, a light dragoon and the Watchman, a light cavalryman with a carbine. Rank Cossacks also play some role. Infantry is dominated by Poor Cossacks, who wield any combination of muskets and light axes and have a tendency to flee when you need them the most. Town Cossacks are generally armed with muskets and sabers. The main Cossack regular army unit is the Zaporozhian infantry, a soldier armed with a musket, fighting hand infantry with his saber. The Serduk is a more accurate version of the Zaporozhian Infantry. Cossack cavalry uses the saddle horse as its mainstay and boasts little armor. The Zaporozhian Cavalrymen are the strongest unit in the Cossack army.
Personal Guard Commander
Heavy Cavalry Commander
|Territory of the Cossack Hetmanate|
Chernigov • Kiev • Sich
Bratslav • Cherkassy • Kamenets • Korsun • Ladyzhyn Fortress • Pereyaslav • Poltava
Boguslav • Borispol • Dubechnya • Dunayivtsi • Khorol • Kobelyaki • Kolomak • Kozelets • Kryliv
Leschinovka • Lisyanka • Loyew • Lubenets • Luga • Magdalenovka • Maslov Brod • Pavoloch
Pohrebysche • Pologi • Potoki • Snovsk • Zolotonosha
- At its establishment, the Hetmanate used Polish currency, and used Polish as a language of command and administration.
- The Ruin was a period of time from Bogdan Hmelnitski's death in 1657 to the election of Hetman Ivan Mazepa in 1687, which was full of continuous strife, civil war, and foreign intervention. It ended when Hetman Ivan Mazepa was elected and brought stability and order to the state.
- The Hetmanate was incorporated into the Russian Empire in 1764.
|Wikipedia has an article on this subject at:|